Mens Tennis Falls To Penn 4-3
Erani (New York, NY [pictured right]) won his
team-leading 12th match of the season with a dramatic 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
win at #2 singles, bringing the Stags back from a 3-0 deficit
against Penn on Thursday. Erani’s win tied the match at 3-all
overall, but the Stags couldn’t complete the comeback, losing
a three-setter at #3 singles in the decisive match.
Penn took an early 1-0 lead by taking the doubles point with wins at all three positions. Using Division I scoring kept the Stags in the match however. After Penn won in straight sets at #5 and #2 singles, Penn held a 3-0 lead instead of the 6-0 lead they would have had using nine point scoring. Sophomore Russell Brockett (Austin, TX) and Victor Chien (Fr. – Diamond Bar, CA) got straight set wins at #4 and #6, to narrow the margin to 3-2 in matches, before Erani completed the comeback with his three set win at #2. Mikey Lim (Jr. - Honolulu, HI) played the deciding match at #3 singles, where he won an exciting second set tie-break, but dropped the final set 6-2.
CMS is now 12-2 overall and plays top ranked Emory University at 10:00 AM on Friday at Biszantz Family Tennis Center. In the afternoon, the Stags look to extend their conference winning streak to 35 as they take on La Verne at the Claremont Club at 2:00 PM.
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 3 vs Penn 4
March 12, 2009 at CMS (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Hicham Laalej / Adam Schwartz (Penn) def. Guillaume Schils / Lawrence Wang (CMS) 9-7
2. Phil Law / Justen Roth (Penn) def. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) 8-4
3. Alex Vasin / Jason Lin (Penn) def. Thomas Keiffer / Eric MacColl (CMS) 8-4
1. Hicham Laalej (Penn) def. Lawrence Wang (CMS) 6-2, 7-5
2. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Adam Schwartz (Penn) 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
3. Phil Law (Penn) def. Mikey Lim (CMS) 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-2
4. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Alex Vasin (Penn) 6-4, 6-1
5. Jason Lin (Penn) def. Eric MacColl (CMS) 6-2, 6-0
6. Victor Chien (CMS) def. Justen Roth (Penn) 7-6(9), 7-6(4)
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 5, 1, 4, 6, 2, 3
Notes: CMS is 1-1 against Division I opponents this season