Stags Beat #20 Bowdoin 7-2
CMS Men’s Tennis continued it’s strong out of conference play with an impressive 7-2 win over 20th ranked Bowdoin College. Senior Captain Mikey Lim (Honolulu, HI [pictured right]) came back from a frustrating loss at #1 doubles to clinch the dual match with his tenth win of the season at #2 singles.
The Stags were otherwise strong in doubles play on Tuesday night, with number two pairRobbie Erani (So. – New York, NY) and Ronald Wu (Jr. – Los Altos, CA) getting their eleventh win on the season by an 8-1 score. Number three pair Eric MacColl (Sr. – Greenbrae, CA) and Brandon Wei (So. – Lake Oswego, OR) continued their dominance with an 8-3 victory for their eighth win in nine attempts.
Lim was aided in singles by strong performances from Wu, who won convincingly at #5, and MacColl, a straight set winner at #3. With Lim’s win putting the Stags up 5-2, Russell Brockett (Jr. – Austin, TX) and Erani were battling at #4 and #1 respectively. Brockett won his second third set match tie-break in as many dual matches, while Erani played in his fourth straight three-setter and improved his singles record to 15-2 on the season.
CMS improves to 12-3 on the season with the victory over Bowdoin. Next up, the Stags host top-ranked UC Santa Cruz on Thursday at 6:00 PM at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
#5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 7 vs #20
March 23, 2010 at Claremont, Calif. (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Jamie Neely / Kent Winningham (BOW) def. Mikey Lim / Thomas Keiffer (CMS) 8-5
2. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Stephen Sullivan / Josh Cranin (BOW) 8-1
3. Eric MacColl / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Casey Grindon / Tyler Anderson (BOW) 8-3
1. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Stephen Sullivan (BOW) 3-6, 7-6(3), 6-2
2. Mikey Lim (CMS) def. Nicholas Fenichell (BOW) 6-4, 6-2
3. Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Josh Cranin (BOW) 6-1, 6-2
4. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Jamie Neely (BOW) 5-7, 6-2, (10-8)
5. Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Adam Davis (BOW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Casey Grindon (BOW) def. Victor Chien (CMS) 6-3, 6-3
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 5, 3, 2, 6, 4, 1