Junior Russell Brockett (Austin, TX [pictured right]) won at #1 singles and #2 doubles to lead CMS to its fifth win over a nationally ranked team in the month of March, as the Stags defeated #25 Gustavus Adolphus by 9-0 score on Tuesday night at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
Brockett was a last minute replacement at the #1 position for Robbie Erani (So. – New York, NY), who scratched from the match with a sore shoulder. Brockett won in straight sets to give CMS its eighth point of the evening, In doing so, Brockett improved his singles record to 9-3 on the season. In doubles, he and partner Mac Cahill (Fr. - Southport, CT) won for the third time this season.
The Stags gained an early advantage in the dual match by sweeping the doubles. With Erani sitting out, Ronald Wu (Jr. – Los Altos, CA) partnered sophomore Brandon Wei (Lake Oswego, OR) for the first time. At the top position, Wei and Wu got off to an inauspicious start, when, in the second game of the pro-set, both players went for a volley up the middle, and Wu’s racket struck Wei’s pinky finger on his playing hand. Wei was forced to take a medical time-out, but the duo finished the match, winning 8-2.
Wu was particularly impressive in singles play, giving the Stags a 4-0 match lead with his 6-1, 6-0 win at #3. Sophomore Ethan Bond (Beverly Hills, CA) won the clinching singles match for the Stags at #6, followed by Alex Johnson (Fr. – Thousand Oaks, CA) at #5 and Cahill at #2.
CMS is now 14-4 on the season. The Stags travel to Redlands this Friday to take on the 18th ranked Bulldogs in an important SCIAC contest.
#5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 9 vs #25
Gustavus Adolphus 0
March 30, 2010 at Claremont, Calif. (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Brandon Wei / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Amrik Donkena / Tyler
Johnson (GAC) 8-2
2. Russell Brockett / Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Patrick Clark / Kyle Olson (GAC) 8-4
3. Ethan Bond / Max Mullen (CMS) def. Rodrigo Otero / Krishan Jethwa (GAC) 8-4
1. Rusell Brockett (CMS) def. Amrik Donkena (GAC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Patrick Clark (GAC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Daniel Pomeranc (GAC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Victor Chien (CMS) def. Tyler Johnson (GAC) 6-1, 4-6, (10-7)
5. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Krishan Jethwa (GAC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Ethan Bond (CMS) def. Kyle Olson (GAC) 6-1, 6-2
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 3, 6, 5, 2, 1, 4