Freshman Mac Cahill (Southport, CT [pictured right]) earned victories at #1 singles and #1 doubles, as the Stags moved to 3-0 in the SCIAC with a 9-0 win over Occidental on Sunday. The win extends CMS' conference win streak to 44. After traveling to Burbank to play the Tigers in a make-up of Saturday's rained out league contest, CMS then returned home to defeat Division II Cal Poly Pomona 8-1 in the afternoon.
Cahill and partner Russell Brockett (Austin, TX), were part of a Stags doubles sweep that saw CMS yield only five total games. With a 3-0 lead and good momentum heading into the singles, CMS won decisive first sets at the #3 - #6 positions, while facing strong resistance at #1 and #2. Cahill returned serve down 6-5 in the first and then rallied to break and then win the tie-break 7-4 at #1. At #2, senior Eric MacColl (Greenbrae, CA) lost the first 6-2. The Stags got their first singles win from Brockett at #3 and then clinched the match at #6, as Myles Crandall (Sr. - Tucson, AZ) also won in straight sets. After two more straight set wins by doubles partners Max Mullen (Westport, CT) and Ethan Bond (Beverly Hills, CA) at #4 and #5 respectively, Cahill then held on to win 7-6, 6-2 at #1, while MacColl fought back for a three set win at #2 to complete the shutout.
Against Cal Poly Pomona, CMS continued its successful doubles play by winning at all three positions. MacColl and Brandon Wei (So. - Lake Oswego, OR) earned their second victory of the day the hard way, saving a match point at #3 before prevailing 9-7. In the singles, CMS won convincingly at the #3 - #6 positions, while again facing strong resistance at #1 and #2. Robbie Erani (So. - New York, NY) won a hard fought 6-4, 7-6(3) victory at #1, while senior captain Mikey Lim (Honolulu, HI) suffered the Stags' only defeat at #2.
The Stags move to 5-2 overall and 3-0 in the SCIAC. Later this week, six CMS doubles teams travel to La Jolla, CA for the 121st Pacific Coast Doubles tournament. Play begins Thursday and concludes on Sunday.
#5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 9 vs
Feb 28, 2010 at Burbank, Calif. (Burbank Tennis Center)
1. Russell Brockett / Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Victor Sowers / Chris Wan (Oxy) 8-3
2. Eric MacColl / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Spencer Choy / Stephen Perkins (Oxy) 8-1
3. Ethan Bond / Max Mullen (CMS) def. Rodrigo Bandiera / Ben Gilmore (Oxy) 8-2
1. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Chris Wan (Oxy) 7-6(3), 6-2
2 Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Victor Sowers (Oxy) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Ben Gilmore (Oxy) 6-2, 6-2
4. Max Mullen (CMS) def. Stefan Pastor (Oxy) 6-1, 6-4
5. Ethan Bond (CMS) def Stephen Perkins (Oxy) 6-1, 7-6(4)
6. Myles Crandall (CMS) def. Spencer Choy (Oxy) 6-2, 6-2
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 3, 6, 4, 5, 1, 2
#5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 8 vs Cal Poly
Feb 28, 2010 at Claremont, Calif. (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Mikey Lim / Thomas Keiffer (CMS) def. Salvador Romero / Kevin Singer (CPP) 8-3
2. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Josh Lau / Keith Boggero (CPP) 8-3
3. Eric MacColl / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Robbie Dabbs / Shane McNulty (CPP) 9-7
1. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Robbie Dabbs (CPP) 6-4, 7-6(3)
2. Josh Lau (CPP) def. Mikey Lim (CMS) 7-5, 6-2
3. Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Kevin Singer (CPP) 6-2, 6-0
4. Victor Chien (CMS) def. Shane McNulty (CPP) 6-2, 6-0
5. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Keith Boggero (CPP) 6-2, 6-3
6. Thomas Keiffer (CMS) def. James Lee (CPP) 6-2, 7-5
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 3, 4, 5, 2, 6, 1