CMS Men’s won a crucial West Region match-up against top ranked UC Santa Cruz on Thursday night, sweeping all six singles matches in straight sets to seal an 8-1 victory. Senior Eric MacColl (Greenbrae, CA [pictured right]) won at #3 doubles and #3 singles, to lead CMS to their most lopsided victory ever, and first at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center, against UC Santa Cruz.
Much like their doubles play against Bowdoin on Tuesday night, CMS was dominant at the #2 and #3 positions. Robbie Erani (So. – New York, NY) and Ronald Wu (Jr. – Los Altos, CA) broke serve in the very first game and never looked back, in an 8-1 win at #2. Similarly, MacColl and Brandon Wei (So. – Lake Oswego, OR) built an early two break lead with great return games and aggressive net play, and closed out with an 8-3 win at #3.
In the singles, CMS dropped no more than six games in any one match. Erani was impressive at #1, getting the Stags their first win with his 6-2, 6-2 victory over the West’s 3rd ranked player Bryan Pybas. CMS got its 4th and then clinching 5th points at #5 and #6 singles, where Wu and Victor Chien (So. – Diamond Bar, CA) finished within one point of each other. Chien, who trailed 2-0 to begin the match, ran off an impressive twelve straight games for a 6-2, 6-0 result. MacColl got the Stags’ sixth point at #3 with his 6-3, 6-3 win over Erich Koenig, ranked 22nd in the West. The Stags closed out the contest with Russell Brockett (Jr. – Austin, TX) and senior captain Mikey Lim (Honolulu, HI) also finishing within a point of one another. Lim’s 6-4, 6-2 win was over the region’s 6th ranked player Marc Vartabedian at the #2 position.
CMS is now 13-3 on the season and undefeated in regional play. The win over Santa Cruz is the Stags fifth straight at home (but first at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center), dating back to 2006. CMS takes on 4th ranked Middlebury College on Friday night at 6:00 PM.
#5 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 8 vs #1 UC
Santa Cruz 1
March 25, 2010 at Claremont, Calif. (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Bryan Pybas / Marc Vartabedian (UCSC) def. Mikey Lim / Thomas Keiffer (CMS) 8-4
2. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Erich Koenig / Ian Stanley (UCSC) 8-1
3. Eric MacColl / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Parker Larsen / Andre Halabi (UCSC) 8-3
1. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Bryan Pybas (UCSC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Mikey Lim (CMS) def. Marc Vartabedian (UCSC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Erich Koenig (UCSC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Silvio Chiba (UCSC) 6-4, 6-1
5. Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Aaron Morrill (UCSC) 6-2, 6-3
6. Victor Chien (CMS) def. Andre Halabi (UCSC) 6-2, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 1, 5, 6, 3, 4, 2