Men's Tennis Wins at #18 Cal Lutheran
Senior Captain Ronald Wu (Los Altos, CA [pictured]) won at #1 doubles and #4 singles, as CMS won a tough 6-3 decision at #18 Cal Lutheran on Saturday. Wu won his team leading 14th singles dual match of the spring and 17th of the year, and partnered with Zhenya Pereverzin (Fr. - Clackamas, OR) for the Stags' #1 team's fourth straight dual match win.
CMS got out to an impressive 3-0 lead against the Kingsmen by sweeping the doubles with relative ease. However, Cal Lutheran proved that they had plenty of fight left in them once the singles began. Taking the first sets in each of the first three singles positions, Cal Lutheran held on to take each of those matches. CMS did the same at #4 through #6, with Pereverzin getting the dual match clinching 6-3, 7-5 victory at #6 singles.
The Stags' victory was the fourth straight against a ranked opponent and improves CMS' record to 18-3 overall and 3-0 in SCIAC.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (6) vs. #18
Cal Lutheran (3)
April 2, 2011 at Thousand Oaks, CA (Poulson Tennis Center)
1. Zhenya Pereverzin / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Andrew Giuffrida / Ray Worley (Cal Lu) 8-4
2. Alex Lane / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Justin Wilson / Cody Kowalczyk (Cal Lu) 8-3
3. Russell Brockett / Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Marcelo Sousa / Ben Inchalik (Cal Lu) 8-3
1. Andrew Giuffrida (Cal Lu) def. Alex Lane (CMS) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2. Justin Wilson (Cal Lu) def. Alex Johnson (CMS) 6-3, 6-3
3. Ray Worley (Cal Lu) def. Russell Brockett (CMS) 7-6(5), 7-6(6)
4. Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Marcelo Sousa (Cal Lu) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
5. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Cody Kowalczyk (Cal Lu) 6-2, 6-4
6. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Ben Inchalik (Cal Lu) 6-3, 7-5
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 2, 5, 6, 4, 1, 3