CMS Men's Tennis earned its third victory of 2011 on Monday afternoon, as the Stags completed an 8-1 rain delayed win over #5 Concordia University of NAIA. Freshman Zhenya Pereverzin (Clackamas, OR [pictured right]) won two matches at #3 doubles and #6 singles in his debut dual match for CMS.
Leading 2-0 after rain halted play on Saturday, CMS' #2 doubles team Alex Lane (So. - Claremont, CA) and Brandon Wei (Jr. - Lake Oswego, OR) won two of three games to get an 8-6 victory and put the Stags up 3-0 heading into the singles. CMS' second doubles sweep in as many matches was anchored by #1 team Robbie Erani (Jr. - New York, NY) and Ronald Wu (Sr. Capt - Los Altos, CA) and first time pair Russell Brockett (Sr. - Austin, TX) Pereverzin at #3. In the singles, Brockett put CMS ahead 4-0 with his blistering 6-1, 6-1 win at #3 singles. Lane clinched the match with his 6-3, 6-0 win at #1. At singles positions #2, #4, #5 and #6 the Stags were pushed hard, with Alex Johnson (So. - Thousand Oaks, CA) and Pereverzin winning three-set matches. Captain Wu won a tough two-setter at #5, while sophomore Mac Cahill (Southport, CT) came up just short in a third set match tie-break at #4.
CMS is now 3-0 on the season and will take on 30th ranked Brandeis at 10 AM on Saturday, followed by a 2 PM match against Chapman. Both matches will be played at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (8) vs. #5
February 19 and 21, 2011 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Bruno Santareli / Abhi Vengopal (Concordia) 8-2
2. Alex Lane / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Jan Guler / Patrick Szevemeta (Concordia) 8-6
3. Russell Brockett / Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Kareem Berdai / Ryan MacNamara (Concordia) 8-3
1. Alex Lane (CMS) def. Kareem Berdai (Concordia) 6-3, 6-0
2. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Bruno Santareli (Concordia) 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-3
3. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Ryan MacNamara (Concordia) 6-1, 6-1
4. Jan Guler (Concordia) def. Mac Cahill (CMS) 4-6, 6-1, (10-7)
5. Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Abhi Vengopal (Concordia) 7-5, 6-4
6. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Jordan Hovis (Concordia) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 3, 1, 6, 5, 2, 4