CMS Mens Tennis lost in the final of the 2011 Stag-Hen on Saturday, falling to #4 Emory 7-2 at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. CMS rebounded in the afternoon to defeat Haverford 6-3, behind the singles and doubles wins of sophomore Ernie Hayhurst (Amarillo, TX [pictured right]).
Against Emory, the Stags dug themselves an 0-3 hole after losing at #3 doubles and then dropping tie-breaks at both #1 and #2 doubles. CMS held one break leads at both of the top positions but couldn't preserve them.
In the singles, five of the six positions were very closely contested, with the Stags winning at #5 and #6. Zhenya Pereverzin (Fr. - Clackamas, OR) won his third singles match of the tournament without losing a set after rallying from 5-3 down in the first. Ronald Wu (Sr. Capt - Los Altos, CA) similarly won his third singles match of the tournament, coming back from a set down to earn CMS their second and final point of the dual match.
Emory becomes the fourth program to claim a Stag-Hen title. CMS won titles in 2007 and 2009, while Kenyon and Trinity, TX shared the title in a rain-halted 2008 final.
In the afternoon match against Haverford, CMS had two-win contributions from Hayhurst at #3 singles and #3 doubles, Andrew Duckworth (Jr. - Lake Forest, IL) at #2 singles and #3 doubles, and Max Mullen (Jr. - Westport, CT) at #6 singles and #2 doubles. CMS led 2-1 after the doubles and then got out to a 4-1 lead after Sam Wong (So. - Palo Alto, CA) won at #4 singles and Duckworth won at #2. But with Haverford winning at #5, and then leading at #1 and #6, the match was much closer than the overall score. Hayhurst held on to win at #3 and clinch the dual for the Stags before Mullen came back to get CMS' final point at #6 in a match tie-break win.
The Stags head into a short spring break with a 9-2 overall record. They return to action on Thursday against Division I Lafayette and Skidmore. Then on Saturday the Stags take on #1 Amherst.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (2) vs. #4
March 12, 2011 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center) Stag-Hen Invitational Final
1. Chris Goodwin / Will Humphreys (Emory) def. Zhenya Pereverzin / Ronald Wu (CMS) 9-8(5)
2. Ayush Bajoria / Eric Rothschild (Emory) def. Alex Lane / Brandon Wei (CMS) 9-8(4)
3. Dillon Pottish / Colin Egan (Emory) def. Russell Brockett / Mac Cahill (CMS) 8-1
1. Dillon Pottish (Emory) def. Alex Lane (CMS) 6-3, 6-7(5), (10-6)
2. Chris Goodwin (Emory) def. Alex Johnson (CMS) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6(5)
3. Colin Egan (Emory) def. Russell Brockett (CMS) 7-6(4), 6-1
4. Nicolas Szureck (Emory) def. Mac Cahill (CMS) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Simon La Perusse (Emory) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Will Humphreys (Emory) 7-6(4), 6-3
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 4, 6, 3, 5, 1, 2
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (6) vs.
March 12, 2011 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Kevin Caulifield / Danny Himelstein (Haverford) def. Victor Chien / Neel Kotrappa (CMS) 8-6
2. Ethan Bond / Max Mullen (CMS) def.Matthew Cebul / Natty Sergay (Haverford) 8-4
3. Andrew Duckworth / Ernie Hayhurst (CMS) def. Ankur Arya / Jake Weisenthal (Haverford) 8-4
1. Kevin Caulifield (Haverford) def. Matt Ellis (CMS) 6-3, 6-2
2. Andrew Duckworth (CMS) def. Hailu Yang (Haverford) 6-2, 6-0
3. Ernie Hayhurst (CMS) def. Andy Dougherty (Haverford) 6-1, 7-6(5)
4. Sam Wong (CMS) def. Natty Sergay (Haverford) 6-3, 6-1
5. Matt Romei (Haverford) def. Ethan Bond (CMS) 6-3, 6-4
6. Max Mullen (CMS) def. Jake Weisenthal (Haverford) 2-6, 6-2, (10-3)
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 4, 2, 5, 3, 6, 1
Stag-Hen Final Match Results
Championship Match: Emory 7 CMS 2
3rd-4th: Kenyon 5 Pomona-Pitzer 4
5th-6th: Whitman 5 Trinity, TX 4
7th-8th: Swarthmore 5 Vassar 4