Senior Russell Brockett (Austin, TX [pictured right]) won at #3 doubles and #3 singles to lead CMS to a 7-2 win over Trinity in San Antonio on Friday. Facing a boisterous home crowd and humid playing conditions, the Stags fell behind 2-1 after the doubles, but then went on to win all but one set in the six singles matches that followed.
Sophomore Alex Johnson (Thousand Oaks, CA) evened the score at 2-all with his 6-4, 6-4 win at #2 singles. He was closely followed by Brockett at #3 and sophomore Alex Lane (Claremont, CA) at #1 singles, putting CMS ahead 4-2. Senior Captain Ronald Wu (Los Altos, CA) provided the clinching victory for the Stags with his three-set win at #4 singles.
With his win on Friday, Brockett improves to 9-3 overall on the season and 6-3 in dual matches. The Stags improve to 14-2 on the season and 6-1 against ranked Division III opponents.
CMS, will take on #6 UC Santa Cruz on Saturday in San Antonio, and then #5 Washington University (St. Louis) on Sunday in Austin, before heading back to Claremont.
#4 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (7) vs. #11
Trinity University (2)
March 25, 2011 at San Antonio, TX (Varsity Tennis Stadium)
1. Bobby Cocanougher / Cory Kowal (Trinity) def. Zhenya Pereverzin / Ronald Wu (CMS) 8-6
2. Erick DelaFuente / Max Frey (Trinity) def. Alex Lane / Brandon Wei (CMS) 8-3
3. Russell Brockett / Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Ben Carroll / Don Murray (Trinity) 8-4
1. Alex Lane (CMS) def. Max Frey (Trinity) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Bobby Cocanougher (Trinity) 6-4, 6-4
3. Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Erick DelaFuente (Trinity) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Cory Kowal (Trinity) 0-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Greg Haugen (Trinity) 6-3, 6-2
6. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Ben Carroll (Trinity) 6-1, 7-5
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 2, 3, 1, 4, 6, 5