The CMS Men's Tennis Team won it's season opener by a 6-3 margin against Westmont College on Friday. Sophomore Matt Ellis (Mercer Island, WA [pictured]) earned a 6-0, 6-3 win at #6 singles to give the Stags their first lead in the dual match. Trailing 2-1 after the doubles, CMS won five of six singles against the 8th ranked team in NAIA.
CMS was looking to avenge a 5-4 loss to Westmont nearly a year ago at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. In that match they fell behind 2-1 after the doubles and then split the singles to come up just short. In Friday's doubles, #1 team Robbie Erani (JR - New York, NY) and Ronald Wu (SR - Los Altos, CA) found themselves down two breaks early, then made a late charge before falling 8-4. Third pair Russell Brockett (SR - Austin, TX) and Alex Johnson (SO - Thousand Oaks, CA) lost by the margin of one break, putting Westmont up 2-0. It took CMS' #2 team of Alex Lane (SO - Claremont, CA) and Brandon Wei (JR - Lake Oswego, OR), who got up 6-1 and then held on for an 8-5 win, to put the Stags on the board.
In singles, CMS built early leads to set up the potential for a sweep. Captain Wu got the Stags even when his opponent at #5 singles retired at the end of the first set with a leg injury. Ellis put CMS ahead for good with his comfortable straight set win at #6. Johnson was also a straight set winner at #2, earning his sixth victory of the season and first this spring. At #1, #3, and #4, CMS came back from one break deficits in the second sets. Lane, making his debut as a Stag, came back from 3-love down in the second set to earn a 6-2, 6-4 win at #1 and clinch the match for his new team. Lane was the only Stag to earn two wins on the day. Brockett, at #3 singles, similarly fought back from a break down in the second and came within two points of victory. However, he lost a tough second set tie-break, and then trailed 8-5 in the decisive match tie-break, before winning the last five points of the match to close out the 6-3 win for CMS.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges (6) vs #8
Westmont College (3)
February 11, 2011 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
- Bryan Cox / Carlos Lima (Westmont) def Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) 8-4
- Alex Lane / Brandon Wei (CMS) def Tiago Hayashi / Lukas Zielen (Westmont) 8-5
- Kent Stormans / Tim Goranson (Westmont) def Russell Brockett / Alex Johnson (CMS) 8-5
- Alex Lane (CMS) def Carlos Lima (Westmont) 6-2, 6-4
- Alex Johnson (CMS) def Tim Goranson (Westmont) 6-2, 6-2
- Russell Brockett (CMS) def Bryan Cox (Westmont) 7-5, 6-7 (5), (10-8)
- Tiago Hayashi (Westmont) def Mac Cahill (CMS) 6-3, 7-6 (2)
- Ronald Wu (CMS) def Lukas Zielen (Westmont) 6-3, Ret.(leg)
- Matt Ellis (CMS) def Kent Stormans (Westmont) 6-0, 6-3
Doubles: #1, #3, #2
Singles: #5, #6, #2, #1, #4, #3