Junior Alex Johnson (Thousand Oaks, CA [pictured right]) was a straight set winner at #6 singles, leading CMS Stags Tennis to a 7-2 win over #11 Pomona-Pitzer on Saturday night. Johnson's fifth straight singles win helped the Stags win their sixth in a row, improving CMS' record to 15-6 overall and a league leading 4-0 in SCIAC.
On an atypically cool April evening, a large and boisterous crowd saw Pomona-Pitzer snatch two of three doubles from the Stags to take a 2-1 advantage into the break. Stags' #3 team Robbie Erani (Sr. Capt - New York, NY) and Alex Lane (Jr. - Claremont, CA) consolidated an early break and then served out an 8-5 win for CMS' lone doubles point, while the Stags top two teams played from behind early and couldn't catch up.
Eager to put a sluggish doubles effort behind them, CMS asserted their dominance early by winning five of six one-sided first sets. Warren Wood (Fr. - Del Mar, CA), Nik Marino (Fr. - San Diego, CA) and Erani were the first three to win opening sets, signaling a clear shift in the momentum of the dual match. Cameron Bernhardt (Fr. - San Diego, CA) and Johnson closely followed and the singles route was underway. Marino evened the dual match at 2-2 as the first Stag singles winner at #4. Wood then completed his straight set win at #1 - his seventh straight dual match win - to put CMS up for good at 3-2. After Johnson put the Stags up 4-2, senior captain Erani erased a 4-2 deficit in the second set to clinch the victory for CMS. Bernhardt's third straight dual match win and sixth of the season increased the margin to 6-2, before Lane completed a three-set win at #2 for his fifteenth win of the season.
CMS continues its quest to stay undefeated in conference, hosting #5 Cal Lutheran on Friday at 2:00 PM, and then traveling to #14 Redlands for the regular season finale on Saturday at 4:00 PM.
#6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (7) vs. #11
April 14, 2012 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Max Sabel / Frankie Allinson (Pomona-Pitzer) def. Warren Wood / Nik Marino (CMS) 8-5
2. Tommy Meyer / Uday Singh (Pomona-Pitzer) def. Neel Kotrappa / Brandon Wei (CMS) 8-3
3. Robbie Erani / Alex Lane (CMS) def. Chris Wiechert / Alex Groth (Pomona-Pitzer) 8-5
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Tommy Meyer (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-3, 6-2
2. Alex Lane (CMS) def. Chris Wiechert (Pomona-Pitzer) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Max Sabel (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-2, 6-4
4. Nik Marino (CMS) def. Connor Hudson (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-1, 6-3
5. Cameron Bernhardt (CMS) def. Frankie Allinson (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-2, 6-4
6. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Uday Singh (Pomona-Pitzer) 6-2, 6-1
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 4, 1, 6, 3, 5, 2