CMS Stags Tennis moved to 5-0 in conference and 19-3 overall with a 9-0 win over Chapman on Friday at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. Junior Captain Neel Kotrappa (La Verne, CA) led CMS with wins at #2 doubles and #4 singles.
The Stags earned their twelfth doubles sweep of the season, yielding only three total games. Warren Wood (So. - Del Mar, CA) and Joe Dorn (So. - Washington D.C.) won their 22nd match of the year at the top position. Kotrappa and freshman Skyler Butts (Santa Ana, CA) dropped their opening service game but then won eight straight for victory at #2. CMS' #3 pair Nikolas Marino (So. - San Diego, CA) and Alex Lane (Sr. - Claremont, CA) won their fourth straight without losing a game.
CMS took all six singles matches in straight sets, with only Wood and junior Zhenya Pereverzin (Clackamas, OR) facing resistance in closing out their matches. Pereverzin is now 5-0 in dual matches this spring. Kotrappa won his sixth this spring and now holds a 13-4 singles record overall. Senior Mac Cahill (Southport, CT) completed the shutout for CMS with his seventh dual match win of the season, this time at the #5 position. Cahill now has 61 career singles wins as Stag.
Next up for CMS is a conference doubleheader, as the Stags travel to #19 Whittier at 10:00 AM on Saturday, and then return to the Biszantz Family Tennis Center for a 3:00 PM match against Caltech.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs.
April 12, 2013 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Warren Wood / Joe Dorn (CMS) def. Troy Akin / Brett Buford (Chapman) 8-2
2. Neel Kotrappa / Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Kyle Coates / Chris Williams (Chapman) 8-1
3. Nikolas Marino / Alex Lane (CMS) def. Nick Mulflur / Zach Resnick (Chapman) 8-0
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Troy Akin (Chapman) 6-3, 6-4
2. Alex Lane (CMS) def. Kyle Coates (Chapman) 6-1, 6-2
3. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Brett Buford (Chapman) 6-1, 6-1
4. Neel Kotrappa (CMS) def. Nick Mulflur (Chapman) 6-2, 6-0
5. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Chris Williams (Chapman) 6-3, 6-2
6. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Hunter Morris (Chapman) 6-0, 6-4
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 4, 2, 1, 3, 6, 5