Men's Tennis Gets 7-2 Win Over #13 Whitman
Led by freshman Skyler Butts (Santa Ana, CA) who lost only one game in two matches, CMS Stags Tennis earned a 7-2 victory over #13 Whitman in Honolulu on Tuesday. Butts stayed unbeaten in eight matches this spring with a 6-0, 6-0 win at #4 to give the Stags their first singles point on the day. Earlier in the doubles, he and partner Neel Kotrappa (Jr. Capt - La Verne, CA) won for the tenth straight time at #2 by an 8-1 margin.
CMS' streak of six straight doubles streaks against ranked D3 opponents was stopped, as Whitman's top pair pulled out an 8-6 win against the third ranked Stags team of Warren Wood (Del Mar, CA) andJoe Dorn (Washington D.C.). Wood and Dorn rebounded in the singles, winning against their doubles opponents at the #1 and #2 singles positions in convincing fashion. Wood is now 8-2 at the top position, while Dorn is 7-3 at #2 this spring.
Nik Marino (So. - San Diego, CA) earned his ninth dual match win and 11th of the season at the #3 spot to put CMS up 5-1. In the afternoon's most dramatic match, senior Alex Johnson (Thousand Oaks, CA) held a 6-1, 4-2 lead before surrendering the second set of his match at #6 singles. He raced out to a 5-0 lead in the deciding match tie-break but then lost nine of the next eleven points to find himself down two match points. After saving two more match points at 9-10 and 10-11, he got his first match point at 12-11 but double faulted. He then won the last two points to complete the comeback. The singles win was Johnson's 73rd in his CMS career.
CMS moves to 10-2 overall and will conclude its Hawaiian trip with a double-header in Laie against Hawaii-Hilo (9:00 AM local time / 12 noon PST) and BYU-Hawaii (2:00 PM local time / 5:00 PM PST).
#4 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (7) vs. #13
March 19, 2013 at Oahu, HI (Central Oahu Regional Park)
1. Colton Malesovas / Andrew La Cava (Whitman) def. Warren Wood / Joe Dorn (CMS) 8-6
2. Neel Kotrappa / Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Andy Riggs / Steven Roston (Whitman) 8-1
3. Nikolas Marino / Alex Lane (CMS) def. Sam Sadeghi / Matt Tesmond (Whitman) 8-3
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Colton Malesovas (Whitman) 6-4, 6-1
2. Joe Dorn (CMS) def. Andrew La Cava (Whitman) 6-3, 6-1
3. Nik Marino (CMS) def. Andy Riggs (Whitman) 7-5, 6-1
4. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Sam Sadeghi (Whitman) 6-0, 6-0
5. Steven Roston (Whitman) def. Mac Cahill (CMS) 6-4, 6-4
6. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Noah Lee (Whitman) 6-1, 4-6, (14-12)
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 4, 1, 3, 2, 5, 6