Seniors punctuate final reguar season win against #11 Concordia
Seniors Neel Kotrappa (La Verne, CA) and Zhenya Pereverzin (Clackamas, OR) earned the first and then clinching match wins of an 8-1 victory over #11 Concordia in their final regular season dual match at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center on Monday. Claremont-Mudd-Scripps improves to 23-1 overall and wil be the top seed in the SCIAC tournament at Cal Lutheran, May 2-3.
Kotrappa and partner Skyler Butts' (Santa Ana, CA) 19th win as a team this season put the Stags on the scoreboard first, closely followed by Pereverzin and partner Nik Marino's (Jr. - San Diego, CA) emphatic win at #2 doubles. With a 2-1 advantage heading into singles, CMS wasted little time in winning first sets at all six positions against their NAIA opponents.
Junior Warren Wood (Del Mar, CA) was the only Stag to face serious opposition. Playing in the top singles spot, Wood had to break serve down 5-4 in the first set, and then escape with a 7-4 win for his eighth singles tie-break win of the season. In the second set, Wood squandered a break serving at 4-3, but got himself in position to win his ninth tie-break without a loss, to close out the win for CMS. Freshmen Daniel Morkovine (San Carlos, CA) and Glenn Hull (Brookings, OR) met much less resistance from their opponents, winning in straight sets at the #4 and #6 positions respectively. Morkovine has now won thirteen straight dual matches and is 18-3 on the season, while Hull is a perfect 8-0 in duals and 13-1 on the season. Pereverzin's 6-3, 6-2 win at #5 clinched the dual for CMS, his team-leading fifth clinch of 2014.
Next up for the Stags is the 114th Annual Ojai Valley Tournament. Opening rounds in the 48 draw singles and 24 draw doubles begin on Friday at the Pierpont Racquet Club in Ventura. The action moves to the Thacher School in Ojai on Saturday for the round of 16 and quarterfinals of singles, and quarters and semis of doubles, before concluding at Libbey Park in Ojai with the semis and championship in singles, followed by the doubles final.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (8) vs. #11
April 12, 2014 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Christian Wickenhauser / Jan Guler (Concordia) def. Joe Dorn / Warren Wood (CMS) 8-5
2. Nikolas Marino / Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Severin Diemand / Kai Kope (Concordia) 8-1
3. Neel Kotrappa / Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Moritz Pronath / Hayden Hensley (Concordia) 8-2
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Christian Wickenhauser (Concordia) 7-6(4), 7-6(5)
2. Nikolas Marino (CMS) def. Jan Guler (Concordia) 6-0, 6-2
3. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Moritz Pronath (Concordia) 6-3, 6-2
4. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Severin Diemand (Concordia) 6-3, 6-1
5. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Kai Kope (Concordia) 6-3, 6-2
6. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Hayden Hensley (Concordia) 6-3, 6-3
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 2, 4, 5, 6, 3, 1