#3 CMS Stags Tennis had nine players contribute to a 9-0 win over #21 Whittier on Saturday, improving to 14-0 overall and 2-0 in conference play. Senior captain Zhenya Pereverzin (Clackamas, OR) won at #2 doubles and then clinched at #4 singles, as the Stags dropped only one set against the Poets.
A day after losing his only dual match of the season, Pereverzin got an easy 6-1, 6-0 win to put CMS up 5-0. Pereverzin, who has not lost a set in any of his ten dual match wins this spring, anchored a strong bottom half of the lineup. Freshmen Max Macey (Wilton, CT) and Glenn Hull (Brookings, OR) lost only seven games between them in straight set wins at #5 and #6. Macey and Hull are now each 4-0 in singles action.
Junior Warren Wood (Del Mar, CA) continued his spectacular singles play at the Stags' #1 position. Wood's 6-1, 6-2 victory over David Konstantinov - ranked #4 in the west and #11 nationally - was his second national caliber win in as many days, establishing him as the top singles player in the west region.
CMS concludes a relentless final week in March with five matches in seven days. On Tuesday, in a battle of #3 ranked teams, D3 takes on D1 as, the Stags play at UCLA at 10:00 AM. They then return to Claremont to host Pacific University at 5:00 PM. On Thursday, the Stags host #2 Williams in a re-match of the 2013 NCAA Championship match. Then on Friday and Saturday, the Stags travel to Chapman and Redlands as they resume SCIAC play.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. #21
March 22, 2014 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Joe Dorn / Warren Wood (CMS) def. David Konstantinov / Chris Schommer (Whittier) 8-4
2. Nik Marino / Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Sam Farmer / Troy Chavez (Whittier) 8-5
3. Neel Kotrappa / Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Mark-Anthony Kenney / Tyler Linscott (Whittier) 8-3
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. David Konstantinov (Whittier) 6-1, 6-2
2. Joe Dorn (CMS) def. Chris Schommer (Whittier) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Daniel Morkovine (CMS) def. Sam Farmer (Whittier) 6-2, 7-5
4. Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Shogo Shimizu (Whittier) 6-1, 6-0
5. Max Macey (CMS) def. Troy Chavez (Whittier) 6-3, 6-2
6. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Mark-Anthony Kenney (Whittier) 6-0, 6-2
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 1, 4, 6, 2, 3, 5