CLAREMONT, Calif. – The No. 3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team opened NCAA play with a convincing 5-1 win over No. 23 UT Tyler on Friday at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. After taking two of three doubles, the Stags won straight set singles matches at the top three positions to secure their 29th win of the season. CMS will face No. 13 Trinity University on Saturday at 10 a.m. for a berth in the Elite Eight in Chattanooga, Tenessee May 22-24. The Stags defeated Trinity by a score of 6-3 in San Antonio, Texas on March 31.
On Friday, CMS jumped out to an early 1-0 lead when No. 3 doubles team of sophomore Julian Gordy (CMC) and freshman Jake Williams (HMC) won by an 8-1 score to remain undefeated in three matches together. After UT Tyler evened the dual match with a win at No. 1 doubles, senior captain Glenn Hull (CMC) and freshman Jake Berber (CMC) put the Stags up for good with an 8-4 win at No. 2. Hull and Berber are now 10-3 as a team.
With a 2-1 advantage at the break, CMS flexed its singles muscles with seniors Hull and Max Macey (CMC) striking first. Hull needed less than an hour to blank UT Tyler's Vinicio Hadlich, before Macey, playing at No. 3 singles, notched his 26th singles win of the season. With the Stags up 4-1 and needing only one more singles win to clinch, it seemed possible that any of the remaining matches on court – No. 1, No. 4, No. 5, and No. 6 – could end first, with CMS up a set and at least one service break on each. Newly crowned SCIAC Athlete and Newcomer of the Year Nikolai Parodi (CMC) provided the knockout punch with a 6-2, 6-2 win over UT Tyler's Arthur Fagundes to give CMS the victory, Parodi's second clinch in the past six days.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (5) vs. UT Tyler (1)
May 12, 2017 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center) – NCAA 2nd Round
1. Arthur Fagundes / Pablo Gomez (UTT) def. Daniel Morkovine / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) 8-4
2. Jake Berber / Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Jose McIntyre / Gabriel Hidalgo (UTT) 8-4
3. Julian Gordy / Jake Williams (CMS) def. Ryan Elwood / Ford Cunningham (UTT) 8-1
1. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Arthur Fagundes (UTT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Vinicio Hadlich (UTT) 6-0, 6-0
3. Max Macey (CMS) def. Daniel Rodriguez (UTT) 6-3, 6-1
4. Daniel Park (CMS) vs. Pablo Gomez (UTT) 6-3, 4-1 DNF
5. Alex Brenner (CMS) vs. Jose McIntyre (UTT) 6-3, 5-3 DNF
6. Julian Gordy (CMS) vs. Gabriel Hidalgo (UTT) 6-3, 5-2 DNF
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 2, 3, 1
CMS Email Updates
CMS Athletics on Facebook: AthleticsCMS
CMS Athletics on Twitter: @AthleticsCMS
CMS Tennis on Twitter: @CMSTennis
CMS Athletics on Instagram: cmsathletics
CMS Athletics YouTube: ClaremontMuddScripps