CLAREMONT, Calif. – Fueled by a dominant doubles performance, the No. 3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team blanked No. 13 Trinity University 5-0 on Saturday to earn a berth in the Elite Eight in Chattanooga, Tennessee. CMS will face the winner of No. 5 Wesleyan and No. 17 Johns Hopkins in the NCAA quarterfinal match on Monday, May 22 at 2 p.m. EDT.
Having been swept by the same three Trinity doubles teams in San Antonio on March 31, CMS was determined to start faster on its home courts. In Saturday's contest, the Stags played three different teams – senior Daniel Morkovine (CMC) and freshman Nikolai Parodi (CMC) at No. 1, senior captain Glenn Hull (CMC) and freshman Jake Berber (CMC) at No. 2, and sophomore Julian Gordy (CMC) and freshman Jake Williams (HMC) at No. 3. In only their fourth match as a team, Gordy and Williams built a commanding 4-0 lead early, and cruised to an 8-2 win for CMS' first point. Hull and Berber were next, recovering from a break of serve in the third game to win seven of the final eight games for an 8-3 win at No. 2. Morkovine and Parodi faced the most resistance at No. 1, but never trailed in an 8-5 win for the doubles sweep.
With Morkovine recovering from the flu for the second straight day, the senior captain was scratched at No. 3 singles, with senior Max Macey (CMC), freshman Daniel Park (CMC), senior Alex Brenner (CMC), and Gordy all moving up a position in the lineup. Parodi continued his dominating play at No. 1 singles, yielding only a single game to put his team up 4-0. Parodi has now won eleven straight against Division III opponents, and is 18-1 against West Region opponents. That left the clinch to Hull - one of four CMC seniors graduating later in the day – who won 6-0, 0-6, 6-2 at No. 2, leaving ample time to change into cap and gown.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (5) vs. #13 Trinity (0)
May 13, 2017 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center) – NCAA 3rd Round
1. Daniel Morkovine / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Matt Tyer / Wilson Lambeth (TU) 8-5
2. Jake Berber / Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Chas Mayer / Clayton Niess (TU) 8-3
3. Julian Gordy / Jake Williams (CMS) def. Liam Crawley / Jordan Pitts (TU) 8-2
1. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Chas Mayer (TU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Glenn Hull (CMS) def. Wilson Lambeth (TU) 6-0, 0-6, 6-2
3. Max Macey (CMS) vs. Jordan Pitts (TU) 3-6, 2-2 DNF
4. Daniel Park (CMS) vs. Liam Crawley (TU) 6-4, 3-3 DNF
5. Alex Brenner (CMS) vs. Clayton Niess (TU) 6-3, 3-3 DNF
6. Julian Gordy (CMS) vs. McKenna Fujitani (TU) 1-6, 5-5 DNF
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 1, 2
CMS Email Updates
CMS Athletics on Facebook: AthleticsCMS
CMS Athletics on Twitter: @AthleticsCMS
CMS Tennis on Twitter: @CMSTennis
CMS Athletics on Instagram: cmsathletics
CMS Athletics YouTube: ClaremontMuddScripps