Athenas Dispatch Bobcats 9-0
CMS continues to tear through the 2012 season, dispatching of Bates College on Saturday at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. The 9-0 victory over the visiting Bobcats improved the Athenas’ overall record to 3-0.
Despite a collective slow start in doubles, the Athenas were able to regain their composure. At No. 3 doubles, the team of Chloe Dobbert and Jaclyn Smrecek provided an early rallying point for CMS. The pair fell behind 1-5 before mounting a comeback and securing an 8-6 victory.
In addition to completing the sweep in singles competition, the Athenas won each match in straight sets. A notable performance was turned in by sophomore Crystal Lim. After moving into the #2 position due to a last-minute scratch by Jessie Huang, Lim lost only one game in the most dominant performance of the day (6-0, 6-1).
Kristin Lim played true to form as the top-ranked singles player in Division III. Despite a challenge from Bobcats freshman Ele Mandzhukova, who played well in winning several games, the day belonged to Lim. The junior from Honolulu took the match in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.
This upcoming weekend, March 2-4, the Athenas will compete at the ITA Division III Indoor National Championships. The tournament will be hosted in Greencastle, Indiana, on the campus of DePauw University.
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 9, Bates 0
Feb. 25, 2012 at Claremont, Calif.
1. Kristin Lim/Jessie Huang (CMS) def. Elena Mandzhukova/Meg Anderson (B) 8-4
2. Crystal Lim/Sarah Kukino (CMS) def. Erika Blauth/Kristen Doerer (B) 8-4
3. Chloe Dobbert/Jaclyn Smrecek (CMS) def. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (B) 8-6
1. Kristin Lim (CMS) def. Mandzhukova (B) 6-3, 6-3
2. Crystal Lim (CMS) def. Anderson (B) 6-0, 6-0
3. Kukino (CMS) def. Jacqui Holmes (B) 6-2, 6-1
4. Dobbert (CMS) def. Blauth (B) 6-4, 6-3
5. Smrecek (CMS) def. Audrey Grauer (B) 6-3, 6-3
6. Kelly Chen (CMS) def. Lucy Brennan (B) 6-0, 6-1