Stags Drop Double-Overtime Nailbiter to Poets 2-1

Stags Drop Double-Overtime Nailbiter to Poets 2-1

WHITTIER, Calif. - Wednesday night's match between the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's soccer team and Whittier College produced plenty of fireworks as the two sides battled it out until double-overtime. After trailing 1-0 for majority of the match, freshman Daniel Rohde (HMC) scored the equalizer with less than 10 minutes to send the game to overtime. The two teams desperately pressed for the game-winner, but it was Ibrahim Abou Hashish who put Whittier ahead, giving the Poets their first conference win of the season. 

The Stags controlled possession for most of the match and outshot the Poets 14 to 9. However, the Poets' goalkeeper, Nathan Armas, frustrated the Stags' offense by collecting seven saves. The match overall was a chippy affair, as the two teams combined for 28 fouls. The Poets collected two yellow cards and saw a player ejected with a red card in the 59th minute, but they managed to pull through despite playing a man down. 

Yusuke Kobayashi (CMC) almost scored the opening goal early in the first half when his shot went off the post in the 10th minute. However, the Poets got on board later in the 28th minute when Luis Espitia found Matteo Loi with a pass for the opening goal. The Stags couldn't find their rhythm on offense and looked to regroup after the half.

CMS showed more life in the second half as Tyler Chen (CMC) saw his shot go on target in the 54th minute, but it was well-saved by Nathan Armas. The Stags collected a foul inside the Poets' box in the 59th minute, as Gonzalo Martinez Zorzi of Whittier got sent off with a red card for his harsh challenge. Matthew Swift (CMC) stepped up to take the penalty, but got unlucky as Armas managed to get his hands on the ball for another save. 

Playing against 10 players on the field, the Stags strung more passes at ease and pressed forward more aggressively, but struggled to get quality shots off as the Poets attempted to barricade their net. However, in the 82nd minute, Daniel Rohde (HMC) managed to level the score with an unassisted goal. Rohde almost earned a brace four minutes later, but his attempt was well-saved by Armas. The two teams couldn't find the net in regulation, pushing the game to overtime. 

After an uneventful 10 minutes in the first overtime, the Poets managed to sneak through in second overtime as Ibrahim Abou Hashish scored the game-winner in the 102nd minute. 

The Stags will return home on Saturday night, September 16 to host Chapman University at 7 p.m.