Golden Goal Pushes Stags Past Beavers in Overtime

Golden Goal Pushes Stags Past Beavers in Overtime

PASADENA, Calif. – Trailing 1-0 late in the second-half against Caltech, the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's soccer team scored a goal in the 75th minute to force overtime and then tallied another goal at the end of the first overtime-period to clinch a 2-1 victory. The Stags controlled the pace of play throughout the afternoon, owning a 22-3 advantage in shots, but it was the Beavers that struck first with a penalty kick goal in the 21st minute.

The 1-0 lead for Caltech remained until the 75th minute, when Matthew Swift (CMC) found Henry Kraham (CMC) for his first career goal to knot the match at 1-1. In the final 15 minutes of regulation, the Stags attempted six shots but were unable to win the contest in regulation.

The game-winner would come eight minutes into the first overtime-period. Nate Huntington (CMC) took a pass from Daniel Rohde (HMC) and connected for the golden goal to give the Stags the 2-1 victory.

As mentioned, the Stags dominated play on the afternoon and that game control was on display in the opening stretch of the contest. In the first 15 minutes of the match, CMS took a half dozen shots and earned four corner kicks. Three of their early shots went on goal, but they were all turned away for the Caltech keeper, Joe Como.

After the Stags attempted the first six shots of the contest, the Beavers worked the ball deep into CMS territory and earned a penalty shot in the 21st minute. Kevin Yu stepped up and delivered the first shot of the contest for Caltech, putting through the penalty kick for a 1-0 lead.

Following the goal from Caltech, the Stags continued the pressure. CMS took four shots in the final 25 minutes of the half but were unable to connect and the Beavers led 1-0 into the break.

The start to the second-half was relatively quiet for both sides. CMS and Caltech each took just one shot in the opening 29 minutes of the half. In the 75th minute, however, the Stags took their second shot of the half and made it count. Matthew Swift feed Henry Kraham for the equalizer and tied the match at 1-1.

Following the goal, the Stags attempted six shots in the final 15 minutes of regulation including four on goal by Nate Huntington, Cole Smith (CMC), William Birchard (CMC), and Aidan Johnson (CMC). CMS was unable to connect on any of their attempts and the match turned to overtime.

After three attempts wide of the frame to open overtime, CMS put through the game-winner in the 98th minute off the foot of Nate Huntington with an assist from Daniel Rohde.

The 2-1 victory continues a string of seven one-goal decisions to open the season. The win moves CMS to 2-5-0 overall and 2-3-0 in the SCIAC.

The Stags will next take the pitch on Wednesday, Sept. 27 when they travel to Occidental. Game time is slated for 7:00 p.m.