CMS Men's Tennis captured it's fifth consecutive outright SCIAC championship on Saturday by defeating 5th ranked Cal Lutheran 6-3 at the Upland Tennis Club. The Stags were led by seniors Mikey Lim (Honolulu, HI) and Eric MacColl (Greenbrae, CA) who had two wins each in CMS' second win over the Kingsmen in a week. CMS completes conference play with a perfect 8-0 record and extends their SCIAC unbeaten streak to 49 matches over the past five seasons.
After dropping two of three doubles matches to the Kingsmen a week ago, CMS set out to prove how well their doubles teams can play. The Stags responded with their best outing of the year, sweeping all three positions. Junior Russell Brockett (Austin, TX) was paired with Lim at #2 for the first time in two years, and the Stags’ #2 team put together a solid 8-5 win to complete the sweep.
In the singles, CMS struck first at #2 singles, where Lim was a 6-2, 6-4 winner. The Stags’ senior captain trailed 4-1 in the second set and then won five straight games to put his team up 4-0. Needing only one more match to clinch the dual and the conference title, freshman Mac Cahill (Southport, CT) completed a 6-1, 6-2 win at #6 singles to put the contest out of reach. Cal Lutheran won in straight sets at #1 and #4 singles to make it 5-2 for CMS, and then the two teams split match tie-breaks at #3 and #5 to make the final score 6-3 in favor of the Stags.
Four Stags were named to the all-conference first and second teams as a result of their outstanding play during the season. Sophomore Robbie Erani (New York, NY), Lim, and MacColl were named 1st Team All-SCIAC, while Brockett was named 2nd Team All-SCIAC. It is the second consecutive year that the Stags have had four all-conference selections, with both Erani and Lim earning honors in both 2009 and 2010.
The Stags compete later this week at the prestigious Ojai Valley Tournament. Eight singles players and four doubles teams will represent the Stags in this 56 draw singles and 28 draw doubles tournament that features the best Division III players in the West Region.
#4 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 6 vs #5 Cal
April 17, 2010 at Upland, Calif. (Upland Tennis Club) - SCIAC Tournament Final
1. Robbie Erani / Ronald Wu (CMS) def. Andrew Giuffrida / Nick Ballou (CLU) 8-6
2. Mikey Lim / Russell Brockett (CMS) def. Ryan Lassila / John Karsant (CLU) 8-5
3. Eric MacColl / Brandon Wei (CMS) def. Jordan Culpepper / Ray Worley (CLU) 8-3
1. Andrew Giuffrida (CLU) def. Robbie Erani (CMS) 7-6(1), 6-1
2. Mikey Lim (CMS) def. Nick Ballou (CLU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Eric MacColl (CMS) def. Ryan Lassila (CLU) 3-6, 6-2, (10-6)
4. Ray Worley (CLU) def. Russell Brockett (CMS) 6-1, 6-3
5. John Karsant (CLU) def. Victor Chien (CMS) 6-3, 3-6, (11-9)
6. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Justin Wilson (CLU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 2, 6, 1, 4, 3, 5