ST. PETER, Minn. - The No. 2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team opened the ITA Indoor Tennis National Championships with a convincing 9-0 victory over No. 12 Trinity (TX) in the Quarterfinals. The Stags swept all three doubles matches before dominating singles play. Across the six singles matches, CMS dropped just 21 games and earned straight-set victories at every position.
CMS started slowly in two of the first three doubles matches, as both No. 1 team Julian Gordy (CMC) and Nikolai Parodi (CMC), and No. 2 team Oscar Burney (CMC) and Jack Katzman (CMC) had to overcome early service breaks in order to stay in their matches. At No. 1, Parodi saved two break points at 1-4, 15-40, which, if converted, would have resulted in a two break lead for Trinity. The Stags top team then won seven of the final nine games to hold on for an 8-6 win. At No. 2, Burney and Katzman were each broken in their first service games and trailed 3-0, before winning the next four games and then cruising to an 8-4 win for the Stags' second point. Sophomores Jake Berber (CMC) and Daniel Park (CMC) converted an early break and never looked back, giving CMS its first point at No. 3.
In the singles, CMS turned in its most impressive performance of the early season. Burney was first to win at No. 3, followed by Katzman's near perfect display at No. 2, which clinched the match win for the Stags. Parodi notched his third dual match win of the spring with a convincing 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 1 to put CMS up 6-0. Avinash Vemuri (CMC), Matthew Jacobs (CMC), and Park, all followed with straight set wins at Nos. 4, 5, and 6 to complete the shutout.
The Stags advance to the semifinals at 8:30 AM CST on Saturday against No. 6 Washington University-St. Louis, a 9-0 victor over Redlands in the first quarterfinal match of the day.
#2 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. #12 Trinity University (0)
February 23, 2018 at St. Peter, MN (SwansonTennis Center) - ITA National Team Indoors Quarterfinals
1. Julian Gordy / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Wilson Lambeth / Jordan Pitts (TRINITY) 8-6
2. Oscar Burney Jack Katzman (CMS) def. Wilson Hamilton / Jace Akagi-Okuma (TRINITY) 8-4
3. Jake Berber / Daniel Park (CMS) def. Tilden Oliver / Lars Wiik (TRINITY) 8-3
1. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Wilson Hamilton (TRINITY) 6-2, 6-2
2. Jack Katzman (CMS) def. Jordan Pitts (TRINITY) 6-1, 6-0
3. Oscar Burney (CMS) def. Wilson Lambeth (TRINITY) 6-4, 6-1
4. Daniel Park (CMS) def. Jace Akagi-Okuma (TRINITY) 6-4, 6-2
5. Matthew Jacobs (CMS) def. Tilden Oliver (TRINITY) 6-2, 6-2
6. Avinash Vemuri (CMSM) def. Lars Wiik (TRINITY) 6-1, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 3, 2, 1, 6, 5, 4