CLAREMONT, Calif. – The No. 3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team turned in a pair of sweeps in non-conference matches on Thursday. CMS opened Thursday with a dominating 9-0 victory over Wheaton College (MA) before cruising to another 9-0 victory over the No. 26 Skidmore Thoroughbreds. Against the Lyons, the Stags dropped just nine games across six singles matches en route to the convincing victory. Their match against Skidmore was more of the same, with CMS earning straight-set victories in all six singles matches.
Match One – No. 3 CMS defeats Wheaton (MA) 9-0
The Stags started the day with a convincing 9-0 victory over the Wheaton Lyons. CMS took a 3-0 lead after doubles play with sophomores Jake Berber (CMC) and Daniel Park (CMC) earning their seventh win in nine dual matches this spring. CMS' No. 2 pair Alfred Simental (CMC) and Jake Williams (HMC) won their third straight, and first time partners Avinash Vemuri (CMC) and Jay Yeam (CMC) were winners at the No. 3 position.
After their impressive showing in doubles play, the Stags were even stronger in the six singles matches. CMS won all six matches in straight sets with Matthew Jacobs (CMC), Jay Yeam (CMC), Jake Berber (CMC), Alfred Simental (CMC), and Jake Williams (HMC) dropping less than two games in their respective matches.
Jay Yeam delivered the fifth point for the Stags with a 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 3 singles to clinch the match.
Match Two - No. 3 CMS defeats No. 26 Skidmore 9-0
The Stags again swept their way through doubles before posting six victories in singles play to win 9-0 in their second match of the day. CMS' most dominate performance came from Avinash Vemuri (CMC) in the No. 6 singles match. Vemuri dropped just one game in a 6-1, 6-0 victory, his second singles win of the day. The junior is now 11-3 overall, and 7-2 in dual match play. Sophomore Oscar Burney (CMC) continued his winning ways, posting his fifth consecutive victory at the No. 3 singles spot. Sophomore Nikolai Parodi (CMC) notched another impressive singles win at the No. 1 position, defeating 25th ranked Steven Koulouris in straight sets for his 10th win.
CMS is now 12-2 overall and will face No. 6 Amherst on Saturday at 11 AM at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. Wheaton College (0)
March15, 2018 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Jake Berber / Daniel Park (CMS) def. Jeremiah Ryser / J. Esteban de Celis (Wheaton) 8-3
2. Alfred Simental / Jake Williams (CMS) def. J. Aguirre Martinez / Ned Roosevelt (Wheaton) 8-2
3. Avinash Vemuri / Jay Yeam (CMS) def. Zach Strempel / Diego Garcia Anton (Wheaton) 8-2
1. Matthew Jacobs (CMS) def. J. Aguirre Martinez (Wheaton) 6-0, 6-1
2. Avinash Vemuri (CMS) def. Jeremiah Ryser (Wheaton) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jay Yeam (CMS) def. J. Esteban de Celis (Wheaton) 6-1, 6-0
4. Jake Berber (CMS) def. Ned Roosevelt (Wheaton) 6-0, 6-0
5. Alfred Simental (CMS) def. Zach Strempel (Wheaton) 6-2, 6-0
6. Jake Williams (CMS) def. Eli Trimbur (Wheaton) 6-0, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 4, 3, 6, 1, 5, 2
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. #26 Skidmore (0)
March 15, 2018 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center) - Stag-Hen Invitational Semifinal
1. Julian Gordy / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Steven Koulouris / JT Wynne (Skidmore) 8-3
2. Oscar Burney Jack Katzman (CMS) def. Travis Leaf / Lucas Pickering (Skidmore) 8-6
3. Jake Williams / Jay Yeam (CMS) def. Jack McClaren / Jason Keye (Skidmore) 8-6
1. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Steven Koulouris (Skidmore) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jack Katzman (CMS) def. JT Wynne (Skidmore) 6-2, 7-5
3. Oscar Burney (CMS) def. Travis Leaf (Skidmore) 6-1, 6-2
4. Daniel Park (CMS) def. Jack McClaren (Skidmore) 6-3, 6-4
5. Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Ted Berkowitz (Skidmore) 7-6(4), 6-2
6. Avinash Vemuri (CMS) def. Lucas Pickering (Skidmore) 6-1, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 3, 6, 1, 4, 2, 5