CLAREMONT, Calif. – The No. 3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team took care of the No. 6 Amherst Mammoths on Saturday afternoon, earning their third-straight 9-0 victory in as many days. The Stags swept their way through three doubles matches before taking all six singles contests to earn their seventh victory over a ranked team this season. In their seven wins against ranked D3 teams, CMS is 19-2 in doubles. The Stags are 38-7 overall on the season in dual doubles matches.
Jack Katzman (CMC) and Oscar Burney (CMC) led the Stags in singles play, winning the No. 2 and No. 3 singles matches respectively, and giving CMS a dual match clinching 5-0 advantage. Katzman earned his 14th win of the season 6-1, 6-2 at the second spot, closely followed by Burney's straight set win over Nathan Kaplan at No. 3 singles for his 11th win of the season. Katzman and Burney stayed perfect at No. 2 doubles, winning their 11th straight as a pair. Their win on Saturday gave CMS its ninth doubles sweep of the season. The Stags had fourteen doubles sweeps a year ago, with their ninth not coming until April 22.
CMS was particulary impressive in the lower half of their singles lineup against the Mammoths, with positions 4-6 all winning in straight sets. Junior Captain Julian Gordy (CMC) moved up to the No. 4 position and earned a hard fought 6-4, 6-4 victory after trailing 3-0 and 4-1 in the opening set. Gordy won the last three games of the match including a crucial break of serve at 4-all in the second. Both Daniel Park (CMC) and Avinash Vemuri (CMC) won their 12th singles matches of the season at Nos. 5 and 6 respectively. Park needed to break serve at 4-5 in the second set to secure his victory, while Vemuri came back from a 5-1 deficit in the second set. Vemuri had his first match point at 6-5, but couldn't finish a short overhead. Despite ultimately losing that game, Vemuri played a great tie-break to close out the match and complete the sweep for the Stags.
With the victory, CMS moves to 13-2 and will take on No. 17 Tufts (10:00 a.m.) and No. 34 George Fox (3:00 p.m.) next Saturday at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
#3 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. #6 Amherst (0)
March 17, 2018 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Julian Gordy / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Nathan Kaplan / Sean Wei (AMHERST) 8-4
2. Oscar Burney Jack Katzman (CMS) def. Jayson Fung / Ethan Hillis (AMHERST) 8-6
3. Jake Berber / Daniel Park (CMS) def. Kevin Ma / Zach Bessette (AMHERST) 8-2
1. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Sean Wei (AMHERST) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Jack Katzman (CMS) def. Ethan Hillis (AMHERST) 6-1, 6-2
3. Oscar Burney (CMS) def. Nathan Kaplan (AMHERST) 6-1, 6-3
4. Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Kevin Ma (AMHERST) 6-4, 6-4
5. Daniel Park (CMS) def. Jayson Fung (AMHERST) 6-3, 6-4
6. Avinash Vemuri (CMS) def. Jesse Levitin (AMHERST) 6-4, 7-6(3)
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 6