REDLANDS, Calif. – The No. 6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis defeated a short-handed Redlands squad on Friday, improving to 3-0 in SCIAC and 19-3 overall. Playing with only five players, the host Bulldogs were forced to forfeit matches at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles. CMS capitalized on the 2-0 advantage, sweeping the remaining two doubles positions before taking three straight-set singles matches at Nos. 3-5.
No. 2 doubles pair Jack Katzman (CMC) and Oscar Burney (CMC) improved to 14-3 as a team this spring with their two service break win that increased CMS' lead to 3-0. At the top position, Julian Gordy (CMC) and Nikolai Parodi (CMC) won the last five games, including three service breaks, to pull out a 9-7 win. CMS' No. 1 team broke serve down 7-4, and then again at 7-6, and then broke for a third time to seal the comeback victory. It was Gordy and Parodi's thirteenth win in eighteen dual matches together.
The Stags added to their 4-0 lead heading into the singles with easy two set wins at No. 3 and No. 5. Junior Avinash Vemuri's win at No. 5 was his seventh straight two set singles win, and he improves to 16-3 on the season. Gordy also won his seventh straight at No. 4, improving to 13-3 overall.
CMS returns to action on Saturday with another doubleheader, taking on No. 8 Gustavus Adolphus at 10 AM in the Stags' final non-conference match against a nationally ranked D3 opponent. CMS then continues conference play in the afternoon, hosting Whittier at 3 PM.
#6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (7) vs. #13 Redlands (2)
April 6, 2018 at Redlands, CA (Verdieck Tennis Courts)
1. Julian Gordy / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Chase Lipscomb / Brysl Libao (RED) 9-7
2. Oscar Burney Jack Katzman (CMS) def. Cameron Krimbill / Noah Morrow (RED ) 8-3
3. Robert Liu Jake Williams (CMS) def. Mauricio Orozco / No player (RED) by walkover
1. Chase Lipscomb (RED) def. Nikolai Parodi (CMSM) 1-6, 7-6 (5), (10-6)
2. Cameron Krimbill (RED) def. Jack Katzman (CMS) 3-6, 6-4,(10-4)
3. Oscar Burney (CMS) def. Brysl Libao (RED) 6-1, 6-0
4. Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Noah Morrow (RED) 6-3, 6-4
5. Avinash Vemuri (CMS) def. Mauricio Orozco (RED) 6-1, 6-0
6. Robert Liu (CMS) def. No player (RED), by walkover
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 1
Singles: 3, 5, 1, 4, 2