AMHERST, MA - Playing a third 5-4 match in four days, No. 6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripp men's tennis ended their New England road trip with their first loss of 2019 to No. 7 Amherst at the Bay Road Tennis Center on Friday. Junior Daniel Park (CMC) completed a perfect week, winning at No. 3 doubles and No. 5 singles. Sophomores Jack Katzman (CMC) and Robert Liu also added straight set singles wins at No. 2 and No. 4 to complete the Stags' scoring.
The opening doubles matches again played an integral role in the outcome of the dual match, with the Stags only able to secure one of three against the Mammoths. Park and Oscar Burney (CMC) leveled the match at 1-all with their 8-4 win at the No. 3 position. They are now 8-2 this spring and were 3-0 this week in New England.
Park and Katzman also continued to lead the Stags singles, again winning decisively. Both ended the trip undefeated without the loss of a set, and Park entered each of the 5-4 matches with the overall outcome in the balance. Against MIT, Park took the court with the Stags down 4-3; against Wesleyan he began play with the match tied at 3-all and earned the clinch; and against Amherst he brought his team back to 4-all. Park improves his season records to 9-0 in singles and 12-2 in doubles. Katzman is 16-2 in singles and 14-3 in doubles.
CMS is now 13-1 overall and returns home to face No. 5 Williams on Tuesday, March 26 at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
#6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (4) vs. #7 Amherst (5)
March 22, 2019 at Amherst, MA (Bay Road Tennis Center)
1. Sean Wei / Jayson Fung (Amherst) def. Julian Gordy / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) 8-5
2. Zach Bessette / Harris Foulkes (Amherst) def. Jack Katzman / Robert Liu (CMS) 8-3
3. Oscar Burney / Daniel Park (CMS) def. Jesse Levitin / Oliver Kendall (Amherst) 8-4
1. Sean Wei (Amherst) def. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) 6-0, 6-2
2. Jack Katzman (CMS) def. Kevin Ma (Amherst) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jayson Fung (Amherst) def. Julian Gordy (CMS) 6-3, 6-2
4. Robert Liu (CMS) def. Zach Bessette (Amherst) 6-4, 6-2
5. Daniel Park (CMS) def.Harris Foulkes (Amherst) 6-3, 6-0
6. Willie Turchetta (Amherst) def. Casey Morris (CMS) 6-3, 6-2
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 6