CLAREMONT, CA - No. 6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis returned to the Biszantz Family Tennis Center Tuesday night, defeating No. 5 Williams 6-3. CMS was led by captains Daniel Park (CMC) and Julian Gordy (CMC), both of whom featured prominently in the win against the Ephs. Gordy was the only Stag to get two victories, winning at No. 2 doubles in a first time pairing with junior Jake Williams (HMC), and then coming back from a set down at No. 3 singles to earn the Stags' sixth and final point. The win against No. 5 Williams tonight, and against No. 3 Bowdoin on March 16, reverse two of the three regular season D3 losses from the 2018 season.
CMS took a 2-1 advantage from doubles play behind a new look doubles lineup against the Ephs. Sophomores Robert Liu (CMC) and Jack Katzman (CMC) moved up to the top position, while Gordy and Williams formed the Stags' No. 2 team. Gordy and Williams 8-4 win was their first together since May 22, 2017, when they won at No. 3 doubles against Wesleyan in the NCAA Elite Eight in Chattanooga, TN. Their win tonight tied the dual match at 1-all, setting the stage for Park and Oscar Burney (CMC) to come back from a service break down and pull out a tie-break win at No. 3.
In singles play, CMS was dominant at the top, as Katzman avenged a 6-2, 6-2 loss to Williams' Austin Barr exactly a year ago. Katzman earned the Stags' fourth point of the evening, moments after Nikolai Parodi (CMC) - playing at No. 2 singles for the first time in his career - had defeated the Ephs' Ananth Raghavan in straight sets. Liu won his second straight singles match against a NESCAC opponent - a 6-4, 6-1 victory at No. 5 - to give CMS a 5-1 lead and the clinch. Gordy then put the Stags up 6-1 by winning one of the two three set matches contested against the Ephs.
With the win, CMS moves to 14-1 on the season and will face No. 1 Chicago on Friday at 9 AM. Then at 3 PM, the Stags will take on regional rival UC Santa Cruz.
#6 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (6) vs. #5 Williams (3)
March 26, 2019 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Alex Taylor / Peter Frelinghuysen (Williams) def. Jack Katzman / Robert Liu (CMS) 8-2
2. Julian Gordy / Jake Williams (CMS) def. Ananth Raghavan / Calvin Chung (Williams) 8-4
3. Oscar Burney / Daniel Park (CMS) def. Deepak Indrakanti / Austin Barr (Williams) 8-7(4)
1. Jack Katzman (CMS) def. Austin Barr (Williams) 6-2, 6-1
2. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Ananth Raghavan (Williams) 6-3, 6-4
3. Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Deepak Indrakanti (Williams) 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
4. Calvin Chung (Williams) def. Daniel Park (CMS) 6-4, 3-6, (10-6)
5. Robert Liu (CMS) def. Alex Taylor (Williams) 6-4, 6-1
6. Peter Frelinghuysen (Williams) def. Casey Morris (CMS) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 2, 1, 5, 3, 4, 6