ORANGE, Calif. - Fourth-ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis extended their win streak to five matches, defeating Chapman 8-1 in the Stags' SCIAC opener. Casey Morris (CMC), Jake Williams (HMC), and Alfred Simental (HMC) all won two matches, as the Stags improve to 18-1 overall on the season.
CMS earned its eighth doubles sweep of the season to take a 3-0 lead into the singles. Sophomores Jack Katzman (CMC) and Robert Liu (CMC) played in their fourth match at the No. 1 position and got a decisive 8-3 win to put the Stags up 1-0. At No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, CMS broke serve to close out both matches. Simental and Williams played for the first time at No. 2, while Morris and Ethan Carroll (HMC) were a first time pairing at No. 3.
CMS won five of six singles matches in straight sets, led by freshman Nic Meister (CMC) and Morris at the top two spots. Meister is now 6-0 in dual match play without the loss of a set this spring. Morris improved to 8-2 in dual match play with his third win at the No. 2 position. The Stags continued their strong production in the back half of the singles lineup, with Williams, Avinash Vemuri (CMC), and Simental losing a combined six games at Nos. 4-6. This threesome is now 11-1 combined in dual match play.
Next up for the Stags is a doubleheader on Saturday against No. 20 Gustavus Adolphus at 10 AM, and against conference opponent Whittier at 3 PM. Both matches will be at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center.
#4 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (8) vs. Chapman (1)
April 5, 2019 at Orange, CA (Lastinger Tennis Center)
1. Jack Katzman / Robert Liu (CMS) def. Jacob Lee / Adrian Rooney (Chapman) 8-3
2. Alfred Simental / Jake Williams (CMS) def. Brock DeHaven / Matthew Mead (Chapman) 8-4
3. Ethan Carroll / Casey Morris (CMS) def. Len Kamemoto / Luke Bennett (Chapman) 8-4
1. Nic Meister (CMS) def. Jacob Lee (Chapman) 6-3, 6-2
2. Casey Morris (CMS) def. Len Kamemoto (Chapman) 6-3, 6-0
3. Adrian Rooney (Chapman) def. Ethan Carroll (CMS) 6-3, 6-3
4. Jake Williams (CMS) def. Igor Da Silva (Chapman) 6-0, 6-2
5. Avinash Vemuri (CMS) def. Matthew Mead (Chapman) 6-1, 6-1
6. Alfred Simental (CMS) def. Brock DeHaven (Chapman) 6-2, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 1, 2, 3
Singles: 6, 2, 5, 4, 1, 3