CLAREMONT, Calif. - One day after rising to the No. 1 ranking in Division III, the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team moved to 3-0 in SCIAC with an 8-1 win against No. 20 Redlands at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. Jack Katzman (CMC), Julian Gordy (CMC), Robert Liu (CMC), and Oscar Burney (CMC) all had singles and doubles victories to lead the Stags in their eighth straight win.
The Stags flipped their top two doubles teams against Redlands, with Gordy and Nikolai Parodi (CMC) returning to the No. 1 position, while Katzman and Liu moved back to No. 2. The flip yielded two wins, with Gordy and Parodi needing only one service break to defeat the second ranked team in the West, while Katzman and Liu won more comfortably at No. 2. Burney and Daniel Park contined their dominant play at No. 3, earning their second straight shutout and eighth win in nine matches since March 19.
With a 3-0 cushion heading into the singles, CMS struck early on four of six courts to leave no doubt about the outcome. Liu was first off for the Stags, winning nine of the last ten games at No. 4 to put CMS ahead 4-0. Katzman completed his straight set win at No. 2 for the clinch and his sixteenth dual match victory of the spring. After Parodi fell at the top spot to reduce the Stags' lead to 5-1, freshman Nic Meister (CMC) won his ninth straight at No. 5. Burney came back from a set down at No. 6 to earn a match tie-break win, before Gordy made it 8-1 for CMS with his sixth straight victory at No. 3.
Top ranked CMS is now 21-1 overall and will resume conference play on Saturday, hosting Occidental at 10 AM at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. The Stags will host NAIA opponent California Marymount in the second half of Saturday's doubleheader at 3 PM.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (8) vs. #20 Redlands (1)
April 12, 2019 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Julian Gordy / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Brad Cummins / Brysl Libao (UR) 8-6
2. Jack Katzman / Robert Liu (CMS) def. Thomas Reznik / Andrew Yip (UR) 8-4
3. Oscar Burney / Daniel Park (CMS) def. Chase Lipscomb / Andrew Leahy (UR) 8-0
1. Chase Lipscomb (UR) def. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) 6-2, 6-2
2. Jack Katzman (CMS) def. Andrew Leahy (UR) 6-1, 6-3
3. Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Thomas Reznik (UR) 6-2, 6-3
4. Robert Liu (CMS) def. Brad Cummins (UR) 6-4, 6-1
5. Nic Meister (CMS) def. Brysl Libao (UR) 6-1, 6-3
6. Oscar Burney (CMS) def. Andrew Yip (UR) 2-6, 6-3, (10-6)
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 4, 2, 1, 5, 6, 3