CLAREMONT, Calif. - The No. 1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team completed SCIAC regular season play on Wednesday night, defeating No. 14 Pomona-Pitzer 8-1. CMS once again set the tone with solid doubles play, sweeping all three positions. The Stags head into conference tournament play having not lost a doubles match to a SCIAC opponent thus far this spring.
Julian Gordy (CMC) and Nikolai Parodi (CMC) improved to 5-0 in conference play at the No. 1 position, using two service breaks to get an 8-5 win. Gordy and Parodi will represent CMS as the No. 2 seeded team and defending champions in the Division III doubles event of this weekend's 119th Ojai Tournament. Jack Katzman (CMC) and Oscar Burney (CMC) put CMS ahead 1-0, with another dominant win at the No. 2 position, before Robert Liu (CMC) and Jake Williams (HMC) came back from a break down to win in a tie-break at No. 3.
In singles, Burney won in straight sets at No. 6 to put the Stags up 4-0, Liu then got the clinch at No. 4, handling Pomona-Pitzer's Sam Gearou 6-2, 6-1. Katzman continued his white hot play at No. 2, yielding only three games for his 26th singles win of the season. At No. 3 singles, Gordy raced out to a 6-1, 4-1 lead but had to win the final three games to earn his 18th win of the season. In a battle of two of the likely NCAA singles qualifiers from the West, Parodi defeated the Sagehens' Jed Kronenberg 6-4, 6-2 at the top spot.
The Stags improve to 27-1 overall and 7-0 in SCIAC. Top seed CMS will host fourth seed Caltech, with second seed Pomona-Pitzer hosting third seed Redlands in the opening round matches of the SCIAC tournament, scheduled for Friday, May 3 at 3:00 PM.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (8) vs. #14 Pomona-Pitzer (1)
April 24, 2019 at Claremont, CA (Pauley Tennis Courts)
1. Julian Gordy / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Octave Bellet / Josh Gearou (PP) 8-5
2. Jack Katzman / Oscar Burney (CMS) def. Avery Bicks / Charles Stark (PP) 8-3
3. Robert Liu / Jake Williams (CMS) def. Jed Kronenberg / Nils Skattum (PP) 8-7(5)
1. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Jed Kronenberg (PP) 6-4, 6-2
2. Jack Katzman (CMS def. Josh Gearou (PP) 6-2, 6-1
3. Julian Gordy (CMS) def. Octave Bellet (PP) 6-1, 7-5
4. Robert Liu (CMS) def. Sam Gearou (PP) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jacob Schoenherr (PP) def. Nic Meister (CMS) 3-6, 6-4, (12-10)
6. Oscar Burney (CMS) def. Quinn Hirsohn (PP) 6-2, 6-2
Order of completion
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 6, 4, 2, 3, 1, 5