CLAREMONT, Calif. - The No. 1-ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's tennis team shut out UT-Dallas 5-0 in the opening round of the NCAA Division III Team Tournament on Friday afternoon at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. CMS was led by junior Nikolai Parodi (CMC), who won at No. 1 doubles and singles. The Stags will face No. 13 Trinity University at 10 AM on Saturday. Trinity was a 5-0 winner over No. 26 Whitman in the other second round match played at Biszantz.
In the last thirteen dual matches since April 5, CMS has earned eleven doubles sweeps. Sophomores Robert Liu (CMC) and Jack Katzman (CMC) got things started for the Stags on Friday, winning the first five games en route to an 8-3 win at No. 3. Juniors Daniel Park (CMC) and Oscar Burney (CMC) improved their record to 15-3 as a team, winning 8-4 at No. 2 doubles. Julian Gordy (CMC) and Parodi then completed the sweep with their twenty-first win and eight straight together at the top spot.
Needing just two points from singles play to clinch the victory, Parodi and freshman Nic Meister (CMC) converted straight set wins at No. 1 and No. 6 respectively. Parodi improves to 19-6 overall, while Meister is now 17-2. Katzman, Gordy, Liu and Park all had one set leads and a service break in the second set when the dual match was decided.
The Stags improve to 30-1 overall, and have now won thirty or more dual matches for the third year in a row and in six of the last seven seasons.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (5) vs. UT-Dallas (0)
May 10, 2019 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center) - NCAA 2nd Round
1. Julian Gordy / Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Mario Jelev / Giovanni Zamboni (UTD) 8-6
2. Daniel Park / Oscar Burney (CMS) def. Ashwin Vaithianathan / Haydn Steffes (UTD) 8-4
3. Robert Liu / Jack Katzman (CMS) def. Eric Chen / Brandon Giordanelli (UTD) 8-3
1. Nikolai Parodi (CMS) def. Mario Jelev UTD) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jack Katzman (CMS) vs. Giovanni Zamboni (UTD) 6-0, 3-1 DNF
3. Julian Gordy (CMS) vs. Ashwin Vaithianathan (UTD) 6-2, 3-1 DNF
4. Robert Liu (CMS) vs. Haydn Steffes (UTD) 6-1, 4-1 DNF
5. Daniel Park (CMS) vs. Eric Chen (UTD) 6-1, 4-2 DNF
6. Nic Meister (CMS) def. Jed de Luna (UTD) 6-0, 6-0
Order of completion
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 1, 6