The Athenas Tennis program had a major victory this weekend, beating #28 ranked Brandeis University 9-0 on Saturday afternoon. After being rained out of two conference matches earlier in the weekend, the Athenas and the Judges finally got to compete when the sun emerged around 2pm.
Although the Athenas started off a little slowly in the doubles matches, they quickly overcame that to win all three and go into the singles with a commanding lead. CMS’s #1 doubles team of Crystal Lim and Kristin Lim lost the first three games before winning the final eight for an 8-3 victory. #2 doubles was handily won by CMS’s Chloe Dobbert and Jaclyn Smrecek, also 8-3. And in the closest of the doubles matches, #3s Jessie Huang and Victoria Santoro pulled out a 9-7 win over the Judges.
With that strong start, the Athenas were ready to clinch the match with singles. The top three players all finished quickly in short, straight set matches. Next was #5 Jaclyn Smrecek with a 6-4, 6-4 victory. #6 Hannah Kornfeld pulled out a tie breaker in the second set to win 6-1, 7-6 (5). And #4 Jessie Huang won the first set and then came back to win a third set tiebreak after losing the second. After this convincing victory, the Athenas look forward to showing the rest of their opponents what they can do over the course of the season.
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs.
#28 Brandeis (0)
February 26, 2011 at Claremont, CA (Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Kristin Lim/Crystal Lim (CMS) d. Faith Broderick/Rachel Rosman, 8-3
2. Chloe Dobbert/Jaclyn Smrecek (CMS) d. Nina Levine/Mackenzie Gallegos, 8-3
3. Jessie Huang/Victoria Santoro (CMS) d. Roberta Bergstein/Alexa Katz 9-7
1. Kristin Lim (CMS) d. Rachel Rosman, 6-2, 6-3
2. Crystal Lim (CMS) d. Faith Broderick, 6-3, 6-1
3. Chloe Dobbert (CMS) d. Mackenzie Gallegos, 6-2, 6-0
4. Jessie Huang (CMS) d. Ally Bernstein, 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
5. Jaclyn Smrecek (CMS) d. Roberta Berstein, 6-4, 6-4
6. Hannah Kornfeld (CMS) d. Alexa Katz, 6-1, 7-6(5)