CLAREMONT, Calif. – The SCIAC Championships get underway for the No. 4-ranked and second-seeded Claremont-Mudd-Scripps women's tennis team on May 6 at 3 p.m., with a quarterfinals home match against seventh-seeded Caltech at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center. The Championships run from May 6-8, with the second day (May 7) and third day (May 8) of the tournament transitioning over to Pomona-Pitzer's Pauley Tennis Complex.
- Video all weekend (weather permitting) will be offered through the SCIAC Portal (There is a $10 per day fee to watch per SCIAC regulations for conference postseason events)
- Live Scoring is available for the Caltech match. For Day 2 and Day 3, regular updates will be made by Championships host Pomona-Pitzer on the Pomona-Pitzer Twitter account (@sagehens)
- Tournament Page – Schedule, directions, facility information, rain format info and much more.
The Athenas are playing for the team's sixth SCIAC Championship in a row and 18th overall, having won the last two on its home courts. Last season, top-seeded CMS defeated No. 2 seed Pomona-Pitzer 7-2 in the championship match. This season, Pomona-Pitzer is the SCIAC's top seed, while CMS is No. 2 after Pomona-Pitzer handed CMS its only conference loss of the season, 5-4 on April 1 on PP's courts.
Behind Pomona-Pitzer and CMS, Redlands (No. 3), Cal Lutheran (No. 4), La Verne (No. 5), Chapman (No. 6), Caltech (No. 7) and Occidental (No. 8) round out the field. Of those eight squads, three (PP – No. 3, CMS – No. 4, UR – No. 19) all rank in the top-20 nationally. Pomona-Pitzer and CMS are 1-2 in the region, while Redlands is fourth, Cal Lutheran is ninth, La Verne 12th, Chapman 17th and Caltech 18th.
The Athenas enter the SCIAC Championships with two of the top-10 singles players in the West Region. Senior Caroline Ward (CMC) ranks fourth in the West while junior Katie Kuosman (CMC) is sixth. The duo ranks second in the West in doubles and the CMS team of sophomore Kyla Scott (HMC) and freshman Jessie Cruz (CMC) is sixth.
This season in conference matches, the Athenas have a 33-8 record in singles play and have only lost one doubles match.
The schedule for inclement weather would be as follows:
- If rain on Friday, move to old format with 2 matches Saturday, 1 on Sunday – matches played to decision on Saturday.
- If rain on Saturday with Friday matches played, play 2 matches on Sunday – matches played to decision on Sunday.
By Chris Watts
Director of Athletics Communication
Claremont McKenna College
Sign up for CMS Email Updates
Become a fan of CMS Athletics on Facebook: AthleticsCMS
Follow CMS Athletics on Twitter: @AthleticsCMS
CMS Athletics on Instagram: cmsathletics
Watch CMS Athletics videos on YouTube: ClaremontMuddScripps